Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Resolve

Resolved, constantly, with the utmost niceness and diligence, and the strictest scrutiny, to be looking into the state of my soul, that I may know whether I have truly an interest in Christ or no; that when I come to die, I may not have any negligence respecting this to repent to.

Borrowed from Jonathan Edwards. And hopefully to be resolved, that I may indeed be alive and awake. It is terribly frightening, to feign affections for the Savior and to be, in reality, hard of heart.

A clean slate. This is what this day is about. This is the day of resolutions, most of which will remain as mere sentiments. This day has nothing special about it. It does not give any person special strengths to perform their new resolution for the year. Like anything we ever speak of doing: easier said than done. I do not mean to be pessimistic, but that is just the case. And I am not against having resolutions. I have them and construct new ones whenever necessary. It is a guide in the important activity of self-examination. January 1 is as good as any day to make necessary resolutions. What's important is the heart, the mindset and the actual application of such resolutions.

First day of the new year equals new beginnings. It is as if yesterday was an entirely different dimension: we have transcended, and never going back. I am gearing to resolve in myself many things. There are manners and matters from the previous year that remain unresolved. I find Mr. Edwards' resolution of particular interest. But in all this should come a very needful reminder: "being sensible that I am unable to do anything without God's help" and that all things are for Christ's sake.

No comments:

Post a Comment