Monday, December 31, 2012

End of the Year 2012

Another year is ending. Most of the time, I equate the year's end to having another year added unto my age since that will happen just a few days later. I also seem to not have the creativity to think of a catchy post title. I would have gone with "The End 2012", but it might lead to a confusion. There was a buzz about the world ending at December the 21st of this year. Some folks might have been disappointed that did not end happen. To be sure, the world will end, in the Lord's time and terms. But I digress.

This post is to take heed of Charles Spurgeon's words in a sermon: "Beloved, take the year altogether—the blacks and the whites, the troubles and the joys, the hills and the valleys altogether, and what have you to say about it? You may say, "Surely goodness and mercy have followed me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever." Do not pick out one day in the year, and say it was a bad day, but take all the year round, let it revolve in all its grandeur."

I find that it is a sort of required activity, to look back and be thankful. And. Looking back is fine by itself, yet it is easy to miss the point. I, for one, nearly missed the point. All sorts of concerns and issues can easily drown a man out of being truly grateful. It is the easiest time for regret: of things undone, of people hurt, of opportunities missed. However, I know that I should be thankful. I realize that the weightier matters of this nearly-past year are of good and pleasing kind. Sincere gratitude is the right response of receiving blessings, friends, and opportunities clearly undeserved. The Lord has been good.

It's amazing that Facebook is helpful as this year ends. It has a "Year in Review" feature which I browsed through. While not a perfect gauge of what happened, I was reminded of a few great things--

* Mindoro Trip (January): This was a surprise for one of my beloved friend's birthday, and my first time to be in Mindoro. I ended up with having great fellowship, marveling at the sea, and eating delicious home-made cheesecake.

* Beach Mission 2012 (April): I had another opportunity to be back and minister with a group of old and new friends in Pundaquit beach. The first trip was special: I was with my sister, Riz, and had three of my old close friends in tow. I also got to meet and dine with Mang Boy and his family. Mang Boy was the most mind-boggling experience of last year's trip. I evangelized him, while he was drunk. A clear reminder that salvation is indeed the effective work of the Spirit. The second trip, too, was special. I haven't seen the beach so crowded, yet thankfully we got around to covering the whole area. One fellow quipped that the people recognize who we are and what we are doing, and that we were having an impact. But that is something that I'd leave with the Lord. Only the gospel makes genuine impact.

* Resignation (April): Might be weird including this. However, I am thankful for my previous work.

* Job Hunting (April to November): Very humbling experience. While money is easily earned, it's equally easy to spend it. This period has been a solid reminder of wise management not only of money, but more importantly, of time. Time is the more precious resource.

* Purpose and Passion (June): One of the perks of having no regular occupation during this period was that I had the time to attend conferences such as this. It's delightful to listen to the faithful teaching of God's Word. I even got to meet a new friends based in Dubai: Mack Stiles and Andrei.

* Employment: To be paid doing something I like brings much content and excitement. This goes for both organizations that I am working with (one, a part-time and the other, full-time).

I do not mean to highlight just the following things. Much has happened this year. As Spurgeon exhorted, I will take the whole year in. Ups and downs, successes and falls. I started the year and would end it with this quote by historian Carl Trueman: "The gospel is light; it is truly beautiful. To wake in the morning and to know that whatever darkness lurks within our hearts, the light of Christ is sufficient to dispel it all is surely glorious." I believe the gospel is easily taken for granted. For the professing Christian, it is easy for the gospel to be cliche; alam ko na yan. Oh, but the true believer cherishes the gospel daily, no--moment after moment. It is the dearest thing to him, that God has sent for sinners a Savior, Jesus, that would forgive him his sins and grant him new life by faith. This great gospel is everyday news to him. The grace of God in Christ is to be applied daily. It is always new, it is always refreshing. It is my prayer that the gospel be the highlight of every day, month, and years to come. I am thankful for all-year round, for the sanctifying work of God. I have been corrected, humbled, rebuked, and instructed. There is a sweetness to all the manners of sanctifying grace.

Fittingly, the preaching in our church for the last Sunday of the year reminded greatly that Jesus is the complete Shepherd of His people. To have Christ as my Shepherd, "surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD forever." (Psalm 23:6)

No comments:

Post a Comment