Thursday, February 7, 2013

On Writing and Working

I am foregoing all of my current drafts. I have found myself inspired by my new favorite webapp (750Words!!!) and this sister's neat blogpost. This post is not entirely random, but it has no unifying theme aside from the fact that this is what's going on my head at the moment. Well, mostly about writing and working.

Writing
I am reinvigorated to write. There is no need to over-promote my current favorite webapp, but it has pushed me to develop my thoughts more. Also, it encouraged me to do a daily brain dump of any distraction that comes during the day. Oh, sweet productivity!

Having to write for long stretches, I am having trouble with texting. Actually, I find that I am not maximizing my unlimited call-and-text postpaid plan. I am not used to calling, and now, I seem to be detached with texting. And I grew tired of Twitter. My friends know that when I call, it's to confirm of a plan or a meeting. Other than that, my phone's for taking notes and playing music. I have come to preferring emails now.

There is much traffic being directed to my blog because of my post about tea. I have no idea what's up with that. I gained about 500 views in the last 3 days. I would be happy about it, if not for the fact that all of the comments I've been receiving is spam(!). I am of the persuasion that I barely have any "marketable" post.

Working
I am currently employed with a very interesting organization. After some months of applications, interviews, and much waiting, and much prayer, I have a full-time work again. I have been particular in the next work that I wanted to pursue. To be sure, I would have just wanted to work again. It provides a concrete sense of direction and of providence. However, I have this specific organization that I wanted to be involved with for a long time--Compassion International. And I got hired.

I have heard great things about the organization. What drew me was its direct work towards impoverished children. For past couple of years the Lord's been piercing my heart regarding the virtue of compassion; which is lacking in my life generally. I was not particularly drawn to children, more so poor children. Here in the Philippines (specifically, Manila and Quezon City), impoverished children abound. And it's not difficult not to like them. You can find them almost everywhere, and first impressions of them are generally unfavorable. My personal feeling was that of dislike. If I could avoid them, then I would do the means to do so. However, they are in need of the gospel too, as much as I do. And talking to one is a very humbling experience. I find this current venture of my life to be a necessary (indispensable) provision from the Lord. Of this I am much thankful, even if it is painful.

I have thought of it at the way home that I only have a little less than ten months to go before my contract in Compassion ends. Much as I do not want to think about it, I had to necessarily prepare myself for future. To be sure, I am enjoying the work. I have a lot of readings to devour, and a lot of research and study, and lots of creativity to flesh out. As for the future, this is not to preempt anything, but I like going through possibilities. I always plan ahead, and try to run the interesting scenarios in my head. The challenge is, to not be over my head, and to be aware that there are so many things that can happen between now and sometime in November. Taking into account everything that can happen, and this is not to sound morbid, I could die before I finish the contract. Then again I already placed a few reminders whenever that happens.

Lastly, I picked up a new habit: drinking coffee. Some people here in the office are both generous and avid coffee drinkers that they leave a freshly brewed pot in the morning. If there's none, they share their beans to anyone who's willing to brew (edit: I do the brewing now, mostly). There is a growing need to be self-controlled about this though; I average two mugs a day now.

No comments:

Post a Comment