Thursday, June 14, 2012

When I Die

For the past few weeks, I've been to two wakes. It was sobering being there, a solid reminder of the brevity of life. Both were typical wakes: quiet and reflective. What I enjoy most about wakes is that family and friends are always there. It lead me to think about how I want my wake to be like. So here's a few suggestions, since I wouldn't be there to execute the plan.

* I do not want the occasion to be quiet. Or loud. I want it to be joyous. I think my beloved friends can handle that. I want close friends there, talking about the fun things that I enjoyed with them. I already told a friend that he is to facilitate my wake, if ever I go before him.

* I want to be cremated, so the ceremony could be anywhere (UP Sunken Garden?). Expenses for my wake should be put more into the food that would be served to the people who would be attending. However, I have this belief that I wouldn't be wealthy in the future. A simple remembrance would be nice.

* The wake should be strictly not more than two days. I don't want people and my family to put up a long remembrance. A day or two should suffice.

* My journals are not to be read in public. I would prefer handing it over to a close friend of mine for safekeeping, if I am not married. If I am married, my wife should have it (I'm glad I will no longer have to answer for some entries that she might find trivial). If I am married with children, I want my son to have it. My daughter could read it, too, if I will ever have any.

* Since I can only think of a few things at the moment, much would be added if I get older. But hopefully these five would never be taken away. The fifth suggestion: I want a pastor friend of mine (whoever that will be) to take some time and preach the gospel. I want him to make most of what I (and him) value in life: the Lord Jesus and His gospel. This is to be the foundation of my wake. I hope that my kingdom (read: Christian) friends always go back to the gospel whenever they would speak of me.

ADDITIONS:

* I would love people singing during my wake. I am 100% sure that my closest friends would be singing "God of Wonders". I will allow it. I don't think I'd have the ability to object.

* Another provision connected to my journals: I'll happily concede having some secrets of mine (especially those of my own depravity, provided my close friends keep the details hidden) being told in the public if it would help serve preaching the gospel. My delinquencies, while not a good thing, will provide a necessary background.

If I'm idealistic: I still have more or less 50 years left. If I'm realistic, I don't know when the time will come. But whatever happens, I hope to embrace death with joy assuredly; joy of the blood-bought pleasure of Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment