Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Life Resolution


"Can we live to be forgotten so that Christ may be remembered?"

This quote is actually borrowed from a friend, who commented the exact same statement a few years ago in one of my old blogs. At that time, I probably was amazed to have read something like this, since I like profound statements. But for sure, I gave it too little thought.

Considering the things I've been through and desire to do, this statement is now my life resolution. I am to compel every thought, desire and act captive to Christ for the glory of God.

Having this resolution shows the truth I haven't been always true or consistent to what it entails. I've had great ambitions for my life, even after being converted to Christ. I wanted to write books, speak at conferences, etc. While not necessarily (and it is not) bad, my intention was not exactly godly: I wanted to be remembered. I wanted to be known. Where's the fun in not being acknowledged? O but the praise of man is like the treasures of Egypt. Greater treasure is the reproach of Christ! (Heb. 11:26) But it is a still daily battle.

I am aware that association with Christ nowadays leads to confusion, rather than clarity. So to expound on my resolution I refer to another quote:

"Preach the gospel, die and be forgotten." – Count Zinzendorf

To preach the gospel, and not be ashamed of it, is for Christ to be remembered. It is a message not of my own. It is even a message that disturbs: to some the smell of death, to others the fragrance of life. But to exert all thought and effort to that aim, I am convinced that I can die happily forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment