Saturday, July 7, 2012

Mental Habits

I have been reading the first volume of the Works of Jonathan Edwards on my Kindle. It's a big volume which is why it is a nuisance that it is not properly indexed and formatted. The hard copy of this volume has over a 1000 pages. It runs for about 300000 pages on the Kindle. I was thinking of reading specific chapters, but I have to find them one by one. This slight nuisance led me to read the earlier chapters which include Mr. Edwards' childhood and early training. In chapter two, the author elaborated Mr. Edwards exceptional capabilities and mental habits.

The author noted that Jonathan Edwards possessed an exceptional mind, excited by almost anything especially that relating to nature. He enjoyed meditating outdoors where he is in clear view of God's creation. Since I know that I am far from having Jonathan Edwards' capabilities, I decided to learn, if any, something that I would be able to imitate in a realistic way.


Mr. Edwards, the author said, always had a pen in his hand. The aim was not to copy other's thoughts but to render and preserve his own thoughts about the subject he was engaging at present. He was never without pen and paper. This discipline was something Mr. Edwards started practicing at a young age. It is no wonder how coherent and elaborate his works are, most especially his sermons. He nurtured healthy mental habits with the aim of properly dissecting the subjects that were pressed into his mind. He found thinking and reasoning as enjoyment, rather than labor. Let us pause to think that this is rarely the case now. Many people will learn well from Mr. Edwards. The author closes his elaboration on Edwards' mental habits with this:

"In this view of the subject, when we remember how few students comparatively, from want of this mental discipline, think at all; how few of those who think at all, think habitually; how few of those who think habitually, think to purpose; and how few of those who think to purpose, attain to the fulness of the measure of the stature, to which, as thinking beings, they might have attained; it will not I think be doubted, that the practice in question was the principal means of the ultimate development of his [Edwards'] mental superiority."

As far as healthy mental habits go, I admit that I am a novice. My thoughts have a great tendency derail at a certain point I know not where. But they do, and it is telling of how I easily succumb to distraction. Also, I usually find it hard to continue unless I noted the gist down. It's a work in much need of progress. But I think this present rekindling of my fondness for writing veers me in the proper direction. On my part, my aim is to properly articulate something that is dear or interesting to me. I hope to be coherent in my thoughts, however light the subject is. Writing about a bus ride is an example.

It might go without saying but to clarify again: my aim personally is to not be a Jonathan Edwards. An impossible task, no less. No one can repeat what he has done for the church of God and his body of work that remain an edification for believers. What he had was a special gift. What I would love is to imitate his practice of focused, habitual, systematic thinking. As rational beings I think we have no aim but such. However people differ in their capacity for thinking, I believe no one would argue against the habit of coherent thinking. Without such, how are we to communicate? How are we to properly articulate something without properly considering subjects thoroughly? It is easy to get lost in translation. It takes time and effort but the fruit is well worth it.

Postscript: Jonathan Edwards always had a pen and a piece of paper in hand. When heading outdoors for meditation and thought, he placed pieces of paper inside his jacket so that he can easily write a thought down. In this present day of modern technology, pen and paper still exist. But my common practice now with remembering thoughts is constructing a note quickly on my phone. The wonders of technology! The dictionary/autospell (sounds like a video game skill) function is very, very helpful in this regard. I have had occasions of waking up early in the morning and being consumed by a question or a realization. Mostly though, it happens while I am walking. But my best thoughts are those when I am in the shower. I find that the shower is the most effective in getting me focused and relaxed. If only my phone was waterproof.

No comments:

Post a Comment