Monday, August 24, 2015

A Lesson in Irony

Irony*
(noun)


the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect: Don't go overboard with the gratitude,’ he rejoined with heavy irony.
  • a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often wryly amusing as a result: the irony is that I thought he could help me
  • (also dramatic or tragic irony) a literary technique, originally used in Greek tragedy, by which the full significance of a character's words or actions is clear to the audience or reader although unknown to the character

* Taken from the Oxford Dictionary of English
Definitions work best with an illustration. So let me provide you one. I found the video below in my friend's recent post :


I have nothing against the artist. I do not know him personally. He might actually be a nice guy. He might not even own the things portrayed in this video. But since he's placed this video on a public platform, criticism is coming to him whether he likes it or not.

I have always been iffy against Christian movies and music videos. It's quite hard to validate a real virtue if it is merely a portrayal. There are some benefits to these movies, I'm sure. But I believe there are better sources of such learning without the accompanying issues of play-acting. One is actually applying the God's Word in a real life situation. That's plainer than watching a movie about it. But I digress.

As soon as the artist's garage (in the video above) revealed a vintage sports car, I found it hard to take everything else seriously. Like the artist in this video, I would truly find it easy to sing about the Alpha and Omega inside a sports car, wearing intricate jewelry, as I make my way to a yacht, which I probably own. But in reality, I am shaking my head with disgust. Questions of inferiority enter my mind (Is my faith inferior to this man, who seems to be worshiping the same God but our lifestyles are lightyears apart?). I find myself asking, who is the target of this video? What emotions and responses are trying to be elicited? But when I thought how to understand this, I found my way to Psalm 73.

I am uncertain if Jesus' statement about serving two masters make any sense to the artist or his enablers. Or the desire of God that true worship be of internal transformation, not aesthetic performances. Or the general theme of the cost of following Jesus by forsaking all: personal comforts, family, possessions (Matthew 10:34-39, Mark 8:34-38, Luke 14:26-27, John 12:25-26). Or the fact that the Alpha and Omega died to make sinners righteous before a holy yet loving God.

But I am still hoping this just a parody, a mere lesson in irony.

No comments:

Post a Comment