Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Blacks and Whites: 2014

"Beloved, take the year altogether—the blacks and the whites, the troubles and the joys, the hills and the valleys altogether, and what have you to say about it? You may say, "Surely goodness and mercy have followed me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever." Do not pick out one day in the year, and say it was a bad day, but take all the year round, let it revolve in all its grandeur." - C. H. Spurgeon

Another year is coming to an end. Months seemed to have learned how to fly. This is already the third of such an entry that I will have for the blog. Yet I am convinced of its necessity, an entry for the year's end. Not for resolutions, as I endeavored to publish 30+ entries the past year. I only got through nine, but I did enjoy a blogging challenge for a month. No, I definitely do not write for resolutions, but something that I have learned to be a more pressing matter: thankfulness.




There were indeed "blacks" (low points), along with the "whites" (high points). It is quite natural to highlight superlative experiences and events. But the unique blacks of the nearly-past year has been thoroughly beneficial, possibly equal to the whites. It is the first time in years that I have been to the hospital due to a stomach flu. Down for three days, frail and without much appetite, I had the time for prayer and reflection. It served as an alarm: my body needs its rest. I enslaved myself, quite foolishly, working and working more, which led to another dark spot: the late recognition of workaholism. An entangled mess was this whole business. I found out there was no deep, lasting satisfaction in a misplaced view of work. I knew of its benefits, its lawfulness. But I wanted it to cover a much darker spot: depression. For all that I am truly thankful.

There seems to be an unnaturalness in remembering low points in one's life. I feel awkward remembering that weeks flashed in the pursuit of nothing but wind. The world has much revelled in successes, and the excesses of success, that there is a quick brushing aside of mistakes where one could effectively learn from. I have nearly brushed mine aside. But whether the bad days have lingered, the light of the gospel has shone brighter. The deeper the darkness, even the faintest of lights scintillates. But the gospel has not been a faint light. To wake in the morning and to know that whatever darkness lurks within our hearts, the light of Christ is sufficient to dispel it all is surely glorious (Carl Trueman). The world is changing. More I see what's on the streets, more I hear or read the news, it is an inescapable reality: the world now is not the world then. But the gospel light has not changed. It remains bright, despite the pressing confusion of this world. It is just fitting that 2014 revolve in all the grandeur that the God in His gospel light bestowed upon it. So with how I would view 2015.

---
Postscript: No more promising to post more, but perhaps a monthly entry is doable. Possibly inserting some amateurish food reviews. Attempts at poetry might increase. And a potential awesome blog challenge. Hello in a few hours, 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment