Saturday, September 27, 2014

hyposyncrasy

Awesome Blog Challenge # 05: hyposyncrasy

hypocrisy + idiosyncrasy = hyposyncrasy

Never mind the attempt to coin a new term. A Filipino idiosyncrasy might just be our penchant for deflecting blame, so...

What if we apply the hatred we have for corrupt governance, wickedness of our supposed protectors of justice, and all-around grave misconducts of public figures to ourselves, in our most private corruptions?


What if? What if I hold myself to the standards I supposedly hold these people to bear? We might just have a better society. And yes, it is quite easy to blame everyone else but myself. And just to be clear, I am not saying that there will be a Philippine utopia. That would never happen. If history teaches us something, kingdoms rise and fall; they never stay standing for long. I am only of the opinion that the state must uphold the values profitable for the citizens, just like how leaders must uphold values as their natural service to their constituents.

This trickles down to Christianity in the Philippines. Having a work that allows me to observe various churches is a blessing. It grants context and flesh to whatever opinion I have. And just as I feared, it is no different: we hurl criticism, from church governance to national governance, that we are not willing to take for ourselves. Outside the Spirit of God, there is no hope for hypocrites. Criticism ought to start at home. A person can only be accountable to himself. If he looks hard at the mirror first before shifting it to others, maybe logs would be dropped before specks are rubbed out. I hope in the time we have to cast some criticism, we could take it as graciously as we (sometimes) easily hurl it.

1 comment:

  1. Awk. (Kidding)

    Just this morning I was reading a chapter from Jerry Bridge's book "Transforming Grace" that also touched on this point about hypocrisy. :)

    ReplyDelete